Monday, November 13, 2006

Japan work visa process

The work visa process includes 2 major tasks, one is to get Certificate of Eligibility and other one is to get Work Visa and Alien card. Carry minimal 2 photographs for the COE application along with the sponcership details and the employer details, normally you will be instructed to bring lots of paper along with the COE application. The work visa needs another 4 or more photographs. Hence if you plan to apply work visa from Japan while visiting in business or other short term visa status, carry the couple of passport size photographs handy with you.

  1. Need to have the sponsorship from the company who is employing you in Japan

  2. You will have to provide all your Education and Service background proofs to apply for COE. While applying for COE you will also need to produce your original Academic certificate along with the application, the same will be return to you after verification during the application submission day.

  3. The COE process takes about 1 month to 2 months due various reason, hence it’s advised consider making the COE plans earlier if you are planning to work in Japan.

  4. Once getting the COE then the process of Work Visa starts, the work VISA could be obtained for a maximum period of 3 years. However it depends on your employer and kind of employment you are obtaining. No one can work in Japan without a proper work visa. Once the work visa is obtained the you can enter in to Japan as a long term migrant.

  5. During the entry to Japan with work permit, you will be obtaining the Alien card. That will be used for your identity purposes. When you stay in Japan in a short term visa you need to carry the passport all the time. Where after obtaining the Alien card you can carry only the Alien card for the proof of your stay in Japan. The Alien card helps getting your Tax sheet, Drivers License and Insurance.

If you are in Japan on a short term visa and during your visit if you find a job in a Japanese company, you will be required to apply for work permit/visa. If some reason, your short term visa is nearing or expiring before you get the certificate of eligibility, you will be asked to leave the country and apply the work permit from your home country.

Suppose if you get the COE before the expiry of your short term visa status, then you can apply for work permit from Japan itself. In this case after applying to the work permit/visa before getting the long term visa status in your hand if the current short term visa expires; you can still stay in Japan provided you should hold the proof for the current work permit application process.

Feel free to get in touch with me, if you want more information on this regard.

Visit my gallery here: Camera Friendly Objects


Unknown said...

hi Mr. Siva Kumar,

I've been searching a lot regarding the work permit to Japan for a long time.

I've had 5 yrs of experience in the field of HR and would like to know more about those oppurtunities in Japan.

Would be expecting a reply back fom you.

Sivakumar said...

Hi Bindu,

I'm still not clear on what exactly is your requirement. Are you seeking work permit to work in japan or you wanted to know more about processing work permit for your company employees ?

As you have posted your queries in my blog without an email or blogger profile I'm unable to follow-up with you. Please drop me an email to the follow email id:

siva underscore kum at yahoo dot com

Anonymous said...

Hi Sivakumar,

i have a temporary visitor visa for 90 i applied to CoE just today and my landing permission is till 20 FEb , please suggest what would be my next step ... i assume that CoE is different from work visa and i can apply for work visa only when i get a CoE

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Siva Kumar
I'm an Environmental Engineering graduate from Bangalore and I've been considering Japan to study further or work. I got in touch with a few Japanese universities but the medium of instruction is Japanese for my course. I have since then been looking up job opportunities in Japan but I'm not able to get a clear picture of things. I'd like to get a job as an Environmental Engineering teacher/lecturer. Could u pls guide me as to where to look up for jobs and also if u could give me suggestions abt working/studying it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank u so much for your time. Take care
Regards, Ami