Sunday, May 10, 2009

Passport process - UGLY

Last week was a successful week for me in the process of my passport renewal. I have been running behind the idiots working in regional passport office at chennai for more than 3 months now.

Many would have read the news about the corruption scandals about this office in the latest past weeks. I did witness lots of malfunction as the whole office is pushing people to the greatest trouble by not giving proper information and making people to come back again and again so the crowd will go for Passport Agents (brokers?) help.

I was visiting atleast 8 times to make my success story, every other time either for some issue which are not related to us or their unannounced rules. For an example if you have to get tatkal passport (fresh/renewal) the govt. website claims one can pay the fee by Demand Draft or by Cash. If you opt for cash and stand on the queue on appointment day, after 2-3 hours of standing on the quoue you will be asked to reappear in the queue from begining just because you dont have a DD. Though their website still claims they accept cash... my very first visit to the passport office on 12th January 2009 is for the same reason rejected. Inspite of my fights with the entire crew (even after the Regional Passport Officer who is not behind the bars) with written enquiry I was rejected on the counter.The entire office is made of anti public policies and What turned out be the final and interesting part of this passport renwal process is introduction of lots of new friends.
One among was Rajvee of Sun News.. oh yeah.. I recall my family calling him with a nick name "spring neck". I didn't expect me to be on his mobile contacts... it was great to be meeting with this chap.

UPDATE: Finally I got my passport renewed last weekend.

No comments: